INTERNATIONAL DEBRIS
“Seltrac” C60
(Third Kind Records)




I’m going to give this tape a really high recommendation. A really high one. Start there, go backward into your thought process, begin evaluation, go back to sleep. I don’t know why I’m approaching this from the wrong direction, but it doesn’t matter. I think I know why I like International Debris, aka Ross Baker, so much. First of all, on the Bandcamp page, it simply says “Horizon music” under the artist description. I like that. You can lose yourself in a horizon, dreaming of the vast swath of real estate it encompasses, the people who inhabit it. It’s where the sun rises and sets, so it takes on celestial properties at certain times of day. You can lose yourself in International Debris’s music too – its mix of propulsive minimal electronics, leavened with easily digestible beats and timbres. The second reason International Debris hits all the right spots is that I’m reminded at points of the Octopus Project/Black Moth Super Rainbow collab album The House of Apples and Eyeballs, which I love. It takes the rough edges of both bands and kind of smooths them, for the most part. Seltrac has that House vibe, not too in-your-face, but not remotely operating at a distance. From start to finish it’s an absolute treat. Chew it like gum and huff the horizon with your third eye.



--Ryan Masteller