DAS SYNTHETISCHE MISCHGEWEBE “Zwischenmenschen” (More Mars)


Zwischenmenschen” is a collection, sort of, of Guido Huebner’s live performances as Das Synthetische Mischgewebe. The Berlin-based sound artist is a master of electroacoustic experimentation, and has been doing so since the early 1980s. Wanna know what I was doing in the early 1980s? Hiding my eyes from the Rancor in the movie theater. It was scary!

I say this is a “sort-of” collection of live performance because Huebner did some editing and mixing together and within the source material, rendering it not quite as it appeared on stage. Perhaps for the home environment this was the correct move: each sound fragment and noise and source is heard perfectly through a nice set of speakers. This at least enables the possibility that the home user will at least come close to the experience of the live set, the intensity of which translates nicely to cassette. I’ll say, for me, I feel like I’ve got my head right up DSM’s PA – I don’t know what he’s doing in there, but it sure is intense!




--Ryan