Hal McGee


A unique package of tapes found their way to me from one Hal McGee earlier this month and I received a crash course in a vast catalog of recordings. His music is new to me, but he's been a dedicated home-taper since the early 80s. His impressive passion for documentation is something I think the majority of those who read CG can embrace. The music is often improvised keyboard riffs, found sounds, voices on phones, percussion, micro cassettes, and FX driven doodling. McGee is not a one-man sound fiend though because he works with collaborators (different people for virtually every release!), which adds a nice twist to his restless and non-stop output of albums. With the sheer quantity of music (even on the four tapes I have) there are dips in quality, but overall the manic experimentalism of it all is quite a trip.

Buy and Listen HERE.

follow me on twitter: @teflonbeast