ME, CLAUDIUS
“Reasons for Balloons” C22
(Dinzu Artefacts)




End-of-the-Line Folk. Some Welsh. All Female.

Me, Claudius in a descriptorific nutshell, and I have nothing to add. And anyway, who needs reasons for balloons? Nobody. Balloons all the time, I always say. But who needs Reasons for Balloons? Oh, that’s a different answer. That answer is everybody. Everybody needs to get in on this one.

Reasons for Balloons is immediately different from everything in the first Dinzu batch. “Heartbreaking Shuffle and Statuesque” is chock full of samples, twisted bass grooves and jazz inflections, filled to overflowing with masterful use of spoken word snippets. “Safari. Church Style. (‘I, the people. Cut into squares’)” is chock full of samples, twisted bass grooves and jazz inflections, filled to overflowing with masterful use of spoken word snippets. Yes, thank god, yes, this becomes a new revelation, the new standard for experimental music. It’s wickedly calculated and expertly crafted. It’s essentially the very definition of kinetic energy, but applied with a nuance that is but should not be surprising. Get off your Norelco shell high horse and live a little! What, you think someone else is going to make all your decisions for you? Actually, if you don’t mind, I will make this decision: you will buy this tape. Enjoy, and tell your friends, and remember that I’m here for you.

Hey, whaddya know, I didn’t even do the whole I, Claudius thing. I restrained myself.




--Ryan Masteller