BANG! BROS. “Big BANG! Theory (Parts One and Two)” 2xC40 (Hausu Mountain)


I’ve had some intensely fierce debates on the merits of the television program “The Big Bang Theory,” which have mostly devolved into shouting matches with me on one side hollering about how stupid and annoying it is and my brother-in-law (with whom I mostly have these debates) hollering back about how he loves it because the characters in the show remind him of people he knows or has known.

I’ve got some advice: maybe find new friends? Because the “Big Bang Theory” characters suck.

Truth be told, I’ve only sat through about five minutes of an episode before heaving a chair through the television. But there’s some good news today for all of the objects in this room that are at hand, because I won’t be heaving any of them through my tape deck.

Mainly it’s because I can sit through more than five minutes of “Big BANG! Theory,” which is fortunate because I’ve got seventy-five minutes beyond that with this two-volume cassette. I hesitate to call it a double, although it sort of is, because parts one and two have distinct artwork and are actually sold separately from Hausu Mountain. Still, this is probably twice the Bang! Bros. action you were expecting today.

The duo of Arkm Foam and Mark Johnson is in fine form throughout, if by fine form you understand it to mean the sound equivalent of two grown men flailing around with their instruments and recording the chaos that ensues. Not something you don’t expect, necessarily, from Bang! Bros., but notable nonetheless. They’re joined throughout ex-Guerilla Toss-er Andy Allen on saxophone, and together the threesome invoke the onomatopoeic reference of the title in careening headfirst through brick walls of improvisational madness. Over the four lengthy sides, Bang! Bros.+ explore the outer reaches of their instrumentation (Foam and Johnson do live drum machines and electronics), venturing way outside of the comfort zone of the average jerk who subscribes to the half-baked, lowest-common-denominator jokes of Sheldon and co.

Seriously, “Big Bang Theory” fans would shit their pants listening to “Big BANG! Theory.” Take it from me, I almost did myself.

The violence imposed upon these instruments is tactile and immediate, and it holds up for a very long time, eighty minutes to be precise. I hope you have eighty minutes to devote to Bang! Bros. Just … don’t google them at work. I learned that the, ahem, hard way.

P.S.: That's the volume one cover up there, because I like it.



--Ryan