POLIVKA BROTHERS "Christmas Rhythms" (self-released)


Hey, I know it’s the absolute tail end of August, and that’s fine, but I wanted to wish you a Merry Christmas, right here, right now. In fact, I’m so inspired by the holiday mainly because of the Polivka Brothers, Rob and Jef from Denver, who dropped a tape around Christmas 2018 that collected a batch of original Christmas tunes they made for friends and family in 2015. The nine songs, acoustic guitar and voice, are straightfaced odes of reverence to objects and traditions surrounding the holiday: holiday songs on the radio, going to the movies on Christmas Day, Snoopy, Santa, zithers (sure), being depressed on New Year’s (who isn’t?), and candy corn… naturally. These modern references and practices will strike a definite nostalgic chord with a lot of you, especially if you grew up in the 1980s and 1990s. I think I’ll have to introduce my brother to this one – he listens to Christmas music pretty much year round. Guess we have that in common now!



--Ryan